All of our actions, however big or small, affect the environment
All of our actions, however big or small, affect the environment. From the energy we consume to the emissions we generate, the water we use and the waste we dispose of: these all make a direct contribution to our environmental footprint.
We understand that we are responsible for the impact our business has on the environment. Because of this, we are constantly working on initiatives that will help us be more environmentally friendly. ALDI has never offered single-use shopping bags, and we have always used deposit systems for our trolleys, to reduce the number of trolleys abandoned in public areas. Other ways we reduce our footprint include:
- Maximising energy efficiency in our operations
- Increasing the use of renewable energy, including committing to 42 stores and two distribution centres with solar panels by the end of 2018.
- Reducing our carbon footprint by 30% from a 2012 baseline by 2020
- Using low-impact refrigerants
- Conserving and optimising water use
- Reducing, reusing and recycling waste
- Trialling innovations at our store in Scoresby, Victoria. This store is rated 6 stars by the Green Building Council Australia, for environmentally-friendly design.