All of our actions, however big or small, affect the environment
All of our actions, however big or small, affect the environment. From the energy we consume to the emissions we generate, the water we use and the waste we dispose of: these all make a direct contribution to our environmental footprint.
We understand that we are responsible for the impact our business has on the environment. Because of this, we are constantly working on initiatives that will help us be more environmentally friendly. ALDI has never offered single-use shopping bags, and we have always used deposit systems for our trolleys, to reduce the number of trolleys abandoned in public areas. Other ways we reduce our footprint include:
- Maximising energy efficiency in our operations
- Commitment to be 100% powered by renewable electricity by the end of 2021
- By the end of 2020, over 250 of ALDI Australia's stores and six Distribution Centres will have solar installations, totalling 102,000 panels of onsite solar energy generation, preventing 41,000 tonnes of carbon emissions entering the atmosphere every year.
- Using low-impact refrigerants
- Conserving and optimising water use
- Reducing, reusing and recycling waste
- Trialling innovations at our store in Scoresby, Victoria. This store is rated 6 stars by the Green Building Council Australia, for environmentally-friendly design.
- Reducing single-use plastics across our range and introducing more sustainable packaging including cardboard punnets for produce, paper stemmed cotton buds and recyclable and compostable tableware.