All of our actions, however big or small, affect the environment
All of our actions, however big or small, affect the environment and we understand we are responsible for this impact. From the energy we consume to the emissions we generate, the plastics and packaging on our shelves to the waste we dispose of: these all make a direct contribution to our environmental footprint.
Because of this, we are constantly working on initiatives that will help us be more environmentally friendly. Ways we reduce our footprint include:
- Powering all operations with 100% renewable electricity which has reduced our carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by 85%
- Generating clean energy onsite through an extensive solar installation program. By the end of 2021, we will have installed more than 104,000 panels across 274 stores and six Distribution Centres.
- Committing to send zero waste to landfill by 2025 with a target of zero food waste to landfill by 2023.
- Trialling natural refrigerant technology across our stores and innovative design - our Scoresby, Victoria store is rated 6 stars by the Green Building Council Australia, for environmentally-friendly design
- Reducing a quarter of plastics and packaging across our own brand products by the end of 2025.
- Reducing single-use plastics across our range and introducing more sustainable packaging including paper straws on drink cartons, cardboard punnets for produce, paper stemmed cotton buds and recyclable and compostable tableware.
- Conserving and optimising water use